Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Challenging Day

Mike, Linda and I took Julie to her primary care physician yesterday at 3:30. I had not planned on going with Linda but after my second visit yesterday I decided I should because I was afraid she might pass out on Linda and of course it being so hot had me even more concerned. When I got to the house Mike was there and we could sense he wanted to go. I'm really glad that all three of us were there because Julie is very sick and the doctor focused on her comfort and her decisions about the future. Jules was so dehydrated that she had to be transported by ambulance from the dr's office about 200 ft to the hospital. The dr was concerned that something could happen and she needed the experience of the EMT and he said we could get her in faster, stabilize her and then move her to Oak Ridge where the only oncologist is that can take her immediately. Julia's blood pressure was 68/44, she had dry heaves and she has a bladder infection and a touch of pneumonia. We arrived at the hospital around 4:15. They got her stabilized around 8:00 (I think), had her room, dr etc set up at Oak Ridge and were waiting for the ambulance. That was the beginning of the ER nightmare...it was like a full moon or something. They had two cardiac arrest and I don't know how many other emergencies. Every time a ambulance would be on it's way it would be deferred to another emergency or arrive and have to transfer a life or death patient to another hospital. Jan and Shirley had came up as soon as Jan found out we were at the hospital and finally Julia sent them home because Jan had to work today (somewhere around 11:00). Around midnight we talked to the dr and he said he didn't know when she would be moved because they just kept rolling in with more patients. Julia told Linda she thought it would be best if I brought her home so she could get some rest and get to Oak Ridge this morning. We really hated to leave her but she felt it would be best in the long run. I just talked to the hospital and she was transported earlier this morning. Mike, Judy and Linda will be going up early so I will post as soon as I know something. Please continue to pray for our girl.

2 comments:

  1. Peg was kind in saying the ER and the Ambulance was a nightmare. It was more like a frustrating,helpless,angering,worthless, confusing, 8 hours of hell.Julia was so very sick and so needed to be transferred to Methodist in Oak Ridge.Every emergency that could happen in Roane County, did happen. Every time an ambulance came to transport her, she got bumped. They(hospital) did not consider her condition life threatening,so she was placed on hold. (I truly do understand that heart patients,trauma patients, etc. need first emergency care. I've been there with Mom, Dad and LeRoy.) We asked about transporting her ourselves but her blood pressure was so low it was not considered an option.We also asked that she be given a room in the hospital,away from the ER so that she at least could have a real bed,rest,and be free from the ER atmosphere. That was not possible either. She lay on that narrow gurney in ER for 8+ hours that I know of, and then God only knows how long after that. I don't know what time they finally sent her to Oak Ridge, but I know it was during the early morning hours.During this entire time Julia did not complain.She only wanted ice chips, and a cold cloth on her head.My heart is so full of hurt. I am so totally helpless.
    Only "THE MASTER" knows HIS plan.Please continue to ask HIM to bless Julia, to keep her comfortable and to allow us to accept HIS ultimate wisdom . Bless every single one of you and please keep Julia in your heart and a prayer for her on you lips. Mamaw Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM still thinking and praying for you Julia.

    Mari

    ReplyDelete